Friday, July 30, 2010 ... 8:10 AM

Chicago Brand Banjo

This blog still get many hits every month from people searching for information on the Chicago Brand Banjo. I own one, bought for me about 6 years ago by my girlfriend at the time from a pawn shop on Central Ave in Charlotte. It cost about $75 and was in terrific condition. I swapped out the sort of lousy, worn out bridge -- which for all I know was the original -- for a lower-profile, wider bridge made of maple and ebony, and I've changed the strings a few times, and I've worn the varnish off the fretboard in many spots, learning how to play clawhammer-style -- "The Coo Coo" and "Little Sadie" and "Shady Grove" in the sawmill tuning, "I'll Fly Away" and "Going Down the Road Feelin Bad" in open G. "Little Birdie" in double C.

I've promised a few times over the years to do some research and write a nice long entry here about the Chicago brand, and maybe I still will some day. Who knows. But I just happened to stumble over a video this morning by a guy who tells us as much about this little Bakelite frying pan as I've ever heard, and then frails out a beautiful rendition of the haunting tune "Kitchen Girl." Ah, it just smells like apples and hay, doesn't it? Says the suburban boy sitting in his cubicle.



Brendan






6 Comments:

My father has been wanting a banjo for quite sometime now, and just this last Christmas my brothers bought him one at an auction. The banjo was still in it's original box, and had never been put together. The box was marked "Chicago Banjo, U.S.A." and that was it. It fits the description of the banjo you have mentioned, but just as you have discovered, information on the piece is sparing. We even took it to a guitar/banjo store, and the guy knew nothing about it, but offered to trade it for a beautiful Gibson sitting in the corner that was marked for over $2000. Any information that you can share with me on the brand would be greatly appreciated.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/08/2011 12:40 AM  

we saw one in the pawn shop recently for $80... will go take a closer look and if it;s in good condition, I'll get it!

By Blogger Jessica, at 2/10/2011 1:23 PM  

like

By Blogger LaBalamuc, at 9/24/2011 8:38 AM  

I stop by every once in a while, see if there's anything new...but there isn't. :( Hope life is well with you! KMcC

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/25/2011 9:56 PM  

Outlook 2010 Outlook 2010 download will not sustain intended for determined by HTTP association email accounts DAV commitment. Do not MS outlook 2010 support overall database customer Brief Perspective. Outlook 2010 for any os in this handset usually do not assist Quickly Look at. Outlook 2010 filled with Microsoft outlook 2010 the important sections. Also, since the functional spots exchanged recption menus, the existing keyboard shortcuts (for example, the "edit" palate shortcuts Alt-E) will no longer obtainable. Incorporate the use of the keyboard entry command, nevertheless the keys cutting corners and designed for older alexa tool Outlook 2010 and food selection techniques distinctive user interface. Microsoft outlook 2010 download

By Blogger MS outlook 2010, at 6/20/2012 8:23 AM  

Fantastic blog! Thanks for sharing a very interesting post, I appreciate to blogger for an amazing post.
csir net mathematics preparation

By Blogger Gurukulam, at 3/11/2019 4:35 AM  

Post a Comment







Making Notes: Music of the Carolinas
(Novello Festival Press, April 2008)
includes my essay, "Link Wray"



SITES WHICH THE TENT REVUE RECOMMENDS

MUSIC
Flop Eared Mule
The Celestial Monochord
HickoryWind.org
Dig and Be Dug in Return
Modern Acoustic Magazine / Blog
The Old, Weird America
Honey, Where You Been So Long?


LITERATURE
The Greensboro Review
Mixed Animal
Night Train
Fried Chicken and Coffee
Mungo (This was the blog of my friend, the late Cami Park. Miss you, Cami.)
Staccato Fiction
Wigleaf
PANK Magazine


OTHER
Cat and Girl
Film Freak Central