Wednesday, January 11, 2006 ... 6:58 PM

To the three or four readers who have this site bookmarked:

I'm working on the list. Last week my cushy job rolled into my cubicle like a cushion made of granite, and buried all the time I squirrel away for the cubicle-mulling essential to the old weblog. I'll dig out. Meanwhile I'm keeping a green eye on critics' word of how fucking fantastic is Neko Case's new record and Terrence Malick's new movie -- both of which I've watched again and again push back toward the far horizon. Also eager to see this DVD, though its alt-centricity puts a nagging in my guts that my hopes for it are too high. To capture and present in any soul-satisfying way the Grimm mystical South that it advertises, it'll have to drive a pretty crooked road between the cliffs of Appalachian Orientalism and the swamp of the suburban smirk.

Lastly, if you haven't visited this site on my links list, now's as good a time as any. This guy's writing about music and science is fun and thoughtful and educational as hell. Of extra interest to big fans of Dylan or Prine or the Anthology.

Next year I'm doing a Top Five.


Brendan






2 Comments:

Yeah, end of year lists are difficult. For evidence, look at my sorry showing for 2004. It took me all year to lay out those top 30 songs! I smartly dropped it to a top 5 album and a top 10 song list for 2005. Thank goodness.

Looking forward to seeing your list, Boney. We can wait.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/12/2006 2:23 PM  

I just found your blog. It's brilliance and you deserve to be read. I just wrote a piece mentioning you in my blog and linked to you 3 times. That way the one guy who actually reads my blog might discover you. Thanks for giving so much.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/13/2006 3:53 AM  

Post a Comment







Making Notes: Music of the Carolinas
(Novello Festival Press, April 2008)
includes my essay, "Link Wray"



SITES WHICH THE TENT REVUE RECOMMENDS

MUSIC
Flop Eared Mule
The Celestial Monochord
HickoryWind.org
Dig and Be Dug in Return
Modern Acoustic Magazine / Blog
The Old, Weird America
Honey, Where You Been So Long?


LITERATURE
The Greensboro Review
Mixed Animal
Night Train
Fried Chicken and Coffee
Mungo (This was the blog of my friend, the late Cami Park. Miss you, Cami.)
Staccato Fiction
Wigleaf
PANK Magazine


OTHER
Cat and Girl
Film Freak Central